Moodle is an Open Source Course Management System (CMS), also known as a Learning Management System (LMS) or a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). It has become very popular among educators around the world as a tool for creating online dynamic web sites for their students.
It is an open yet private platform that:
- you can use for free, from any device
- scales to any size
- extends easily with plugins
- supports us in our teaching and learning
- provides a capable toolset for local implementation
- helps you perform high quality learning research and feedback how to improve things
- allows us all to contribute back to the global community and educators to help others
Moodle provides a central space on the web where students and teachers can access a set of tools and resources anytime anywhere.
Moodle provides a range of functionality covering content creation, delivery, communication, collaboration, management and includes tracking and assessment tools.
Why use Moodle?
- It is free
- Provides flexiblility in how your users access their learning
- It is personal (ownership data, processes, workflows)
- Most of all, it is open